Week starting the 25th of February


Week starting the 25th of February 

In pattern cutting this week we continued to to look at different ways to make garments 3D which is so interesting to me as I think it adds another level to my design ideas and can future my skills. We looked at how to manipulate elastic and all the different kinds like button elastic, think and thin elastic and sheering elastic. I really liked finding different ways to manipulate the elastic because it was a challenge I could really sink my teeth into and work on how I could beefing it each time. While also thinking mg about how it would work in hems and seams and how it all relates back to architecture and structure. 


On Wednesday we were able to break into 3D pattern cutting and how we can more away from the basic shapes of the body and how we can make things stand off the body. This lesson was rather difficult for me as the demonstration was moving quite fast and I just wasn’t able to take in as much information as I was playing catch up continuously. By the end of the lesson I was able to complete my mini scale pattern for a round skirt and was able to start coming up with different ideas for dresses and how I can make different shapes with them while also being a ready to wear garment. This is the part of pattern cutting I enjoy the most because it’s so much more creative and gives me something to get really excited about. I’m looking forward to mixing all theses techniques together to develop them further. 

Design and textiles was a little different today, rather then looking at techniques like dyeing we looked at techniques that fall under the slow crafts, theses are supposed to be good for mindfulness and relaxing. I started with a technique called creative darning which is a repair technique similar to boro stitching which is another technique I attempted. Darning was time consuming but I really enjoyed just being able to take my time and think about what I could add to improve my peice. After this I had a chance at teaching my colleagues how to finger knit which was in lighting to how I don’t want to teach full time but how I do really enjoy showing and sharing with others different crafts. I found it interesting to find the best ways to show and teach people how to do as some people find it easier to understand than others. After I taught my colleagues took over to teach us how to knit. I didn’t really understand how to get off my first row and it’s safe to say this is not a technique I will be running to try again. I moved only some crochet rather then knitting as I felt I would get a really stronger out come and it’s something I wish to experiment further with in my book. 

In digital this week we moved to a new blogging site called blogger which is perfect as I now have unlimited storage and can post as many photos and posts as I like, so we played with designing our pages and catching up on posts. 

In photography, we finished making tectra packs, which are like rectangles you make out of paper. We took them in pairs and took photos around college using them as prosthetic limbs, which was really interesting to try and do. 




















Comments

Popular Posts