Whitchurch silk mill

Whitchurch silk mill 

29th of February 


What a exciting day I’ve had, I decided I really wanted to have a look at the Whitchurch silk mill and have a look at the crossing the warp exhibition as I am really interested in weaving and fabric. We started by having a cup of tea in coffee shop where you could look at some of their collection pieces displayed on the wall, which were beautiful with how much detail was in each row. Then I moved onto looking around the actual mill it’s self, starting with the water wheel, I think it’s so amazing how this is the only silk mill still standing in the England and it’s such a shame how it’s a dying craft. We then moved onto the top floor where we were able to see them spinning the warp for their collection they are currently produced along with Jane Austin’s house and cutting the cords for it which was exciting to see. I was able to learn all about how they used to spin the silk fibres onto the bobbin which were made of china at the time and learns bout how it used to be children age 12 up working in the mills and how they don’t come under the factory act as there a lot less hot and stressful conditions. I found it so fascinating all the different parts that go into making silk but my over all favourite bit was getting to have a go on an old style loom with foot pedals. I really enjoyed trying to make it as neat at possible and it’s fair to say I think I could make my 2 cent at it in the 1930s, might need some more practice at getting the speed up though. Finally we moved onto looking at works of art made by weaving and silk which I found so inspiring for my work as I found it so interesting all the different patterns they were able to make. In the bottom floor again we were able to look at some of the modern looms and weaves and how fast they could work, this really showed me how much technology can develop and help us within the fashion industry. 












Comments

Popular Posts