Week 3

 Blog week 3

Monday I did pattern cutting and we officially start collars and fastenings. Which was a lot more creative then I thought it would be I didn’t know it was something I could do to easier and adapt it to whatever I want after the basics. We started with a basic flat collar which I did a Peter Pan collar, which was relatively simple. We did look at button fastenings at the same time which was a bit harder to understand as I was understanding it from the example I was being shown but after I asked a few questions and why and what it would impact like the size of the button it made a lot more sense. After making a sample for the Peter Pan collar which I made as an add on to the shirt rather then attached. We then moved onto independent study where I made patterns for a sailors collar which was much of the same basics as a flat collar but with a different neck line shape and more of a pointed look. I brought them over to my lecture where we then discussed the different ways I could attach it to hide the stitch like a facing or stitch in the ditch. Then it was time to go home. Overall I feel a sense of achievement and like I was able to complete a lot today. 


Tuesday, we were back on white on white dresses today and we are continuing with different samples. Today a member of our class taught us how to knit with the view finder, which made it so much easier to understand. Knitting is something over tried before but I’ve not understood or been able to do independently meaning this felt like a big step in the right direction because I was actually able to enjoy doing it. We first learn how to cast on using a finger and thumb technique, then we looked at the basic knit stitch which was tricker to do on the first row but after I understood it I was able to fly through it. I was then taught how to do a pearl stitch, which was really simple once I understood how to do the knit stitch. I was then able to continue my sample until we switched topics and I different member of our class taught us how to do to cut away appliqué. This is a technique I’ve done before so it was relatively simple and easy todo. I completely agree few samples and then it was time to go home. 


Wednesday- I began in individual tutorials where we started looking at what should go into a personal statement and what skills we should input. We were given some homework to complete a sheet from Norwich university. After that, we moved to pattern cutting where we started by being introduced to use the industrial sewing machine which is so exciting as it’s so much more convenient and simpler to use. I enjoyed learning how to thread the machine and learning about how it self oils. I had an individual tutorial with my leather where I was able to speak through how I was feeling about my course at the moment and any area I might be struggling with or any question I had which was really convenient and helpful to me as it gave me more of an idea of where I should be and where my time should be most invested. We came to a decision that I needed to write a weekly time plan in order  to be more flexible with my time and so I know what I should be doing when. 


Thursday was another portfolio day, I started. By putting out all of the work out for my pleasure to look at so that we could see where I was at. I was looking at displaying my look book and how best to do that. We decided on about 10 pages I would put out. I needed to make some adjustments to my logo which did take up most of my day as I just kept looking at the different ways I could do and changing the fronts and styles and sized of my lines and me and my leather kept changing how I had it which I was grateful for because it came out perfect and meant we were both happy with it. 

Comments

Popular Posts